Friday July 17th 2020
Theme of the Term: Aspiration
Dear Parents and Carers,
Today we said goodbye to most of the Year 6 children. We enjoyed a Leaver’s Service on the All Weather Pitch yesterday where we reflected on the extraordinary end to their time with us at Wychwood. I am so pleased we managed to squeeze in the residential as none of us knew this would be the last time they would be all together as a year group! We are all so proud of how the children have adapted to the ever changing circumstances throughout this period and speaking with them yesterday, I am convinced that they will move into Year 7 with determination, good cheer and a resilience that will serve them well. Thank you to Vicar Geoffrey for being part of the service yesterday and to the Mother’s Union for the donation of the New Testament Bibles.
Yesterday School Reports were emailed out for each child in the school. If you have not received an email, please contact the school office.
I just wanted to take this opportunity to reassure parents and carers that in addition to our careful planning following on from the guidance published by the government, we have also considered both the learning that has been missed since March as well as how to ensure we address the needs of the children’s mental health returning this autumn. In terms of the children’s learning, we are currently adapting plans for core subjects to ensure that we weave in previous learning that might have been missed or in need of revisiting. When thinking of the children’s wellbeing our theme will be around belonging, specifically to this fantastic Wychwood family to ensure that we support each other. In addition, we have allocated more time for those children who might need specific support regarding
their mental health. Please look out for an email in August outlining our plans for September in more detail.
Forest School Volunteers
For September we are looking for volunteers to help with Forest School. Ideally we would like someone who can commit to our Tuesday afternoon sessions for the term and another volunteer for our Thursday afternoon sessions. If you like the outdoors and want to help out in Year 1 and 2, please email the office. Thank you!
Pray for Schools
The members of the Pray for Schools group met earlier this week, here is what they prayed for:
1. We prayed for the children as they come out of lockdown that they would build strong, healthy friendships after being isolated for so long.
2. We prayed for those children moving on to secondary school, that the transition would be positive. We are thankful that the teachers were able to spend time with Y6 and help prepare them to move forward.
3. We prayed for those starting Wychwood school in Foundation or those new to the school. Our prayer is that they will settle quickly.
4. For those returning to school, we prayed that they would feel confident in their new classes, enjoy learning with others again, emotionally adjust quickly to being back in groups... and that each child would feel valued and know they special.
5. We prayed for Mr Rubba and the school staff. May they have a good break and come back refreshed in September.
6. As the guidance is continually changing and being upgraded, we prayed for Mr Rubba and the governing body that they would have wisdom and be united in their decision making as they do numerous risk assessments and try to keep the school setting as safe as possible.
7.We prayed for families as we start the school holidays: for those who are working and trying to manage childcare and for those who may be feeling isolated that they would find support from other families, neighbours, relations or school connections.
8.We prayed for the mental health of the staff and students, that there would be opportunities to talk and think about the last few weeks ... that they would be able to find people to listen and give appropriate help where needed.
9. We prayed for continued safety and for the protection of our school and all those connected with it.
We are meeting again on Friday 4th September. For further details of the meeting please contact Jo Barham at email@example.com
or Jenny Miller at firstname.lastname@example.org . We would be delighted for you to join us or if there are things you would like us to pray for at that meeting please do let us know...
Over the past week, many of you have brought in various gifts and cards to show your appreciation to the staff and on behalf of everyone here, thank you for your generosity and kind words.
I think it goes without saying, this has been a very challenging time for everyone. As a school we have tried hard to ensure we have responded to your needs within the restrictions imposed upon us. I am so proud of the spirit, hard work and dedication demonstrated by all the staff and governors during this period. We are so fortunate to have such a great team at Wychwood and I am grateful for all they have done over the year. They all have earned a well-deserved summer break!
End of Year videos
We have Wychwood’s Got Talent, Year 6 Leavers Assembly, Year 6 Memories and my final assembly all under the links below or you can check Seesaw.
Please follow the link-
Birthday Book Donations
Happy birthday to Lola (Cherry). Thank you for donating a birthday book to your class! If you would like to donate a book to your class, please collect a donation sticker from the school office to stick your name and a message to your class in the book.
See you on Thursday September 3rd 2020. Have a lovely summer.